Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

28.8.12

Honey jumbled


It's a wet, wet day today. I know that it's physically possible to get out and about on a wet day and, indeed, many families have totally made rainy days their thing. They're off visiting a crowd-free zoo, taking long nature hikes in gumboots and sailing choppy harbour waters with their faces turned up to the rain.

At our place we prefer to stay indoors climbing the walls and staring mournfully at each other all day.

I don't mind the rain. A splash in a puddle after a Summer downpour is a favourite and as far as I know I don't melt when wet, but it's just so difficult when it's wet and cold. You can't have your kids racing about wet and cold. So, despite a myriad of waterproof and warm gear options on sale every September, we remain climbing the wall and staring. Oh, the endless staring.

Today we played Junior Scrabble (The Badoo is like some freaky idiot savant scrabble master - she thrashes us every time, even though she doesn't really know what Junior Scrabble is). And we made Honey Jumbles.

I am assuming they are called Honey Jumbles because after you let the kids make them - including rolling the '2cm round sausage shapes' that are really more like 0.5 - 4cm sausage shapes and 'cutting them into 5 pieces each' with a butter knife - they really are a big jumble. And that's before the pink, stretchy icing gets involved. A big, delicious, messy, pink and gooey jumble.

It was the first time I think I actually enjoyed baking with the kids. Like most mother-child activities, baking with the kids is an activity I enjoy a lot more when the kids aren't involved. There are a lot of activities like that - baking, walking to school, playing Junior Scrabble. My kids have a way of spoiling all my best parenting moments. (And yes, I am sort of joking.)

But Honey Jumbles are meant to be jumbled, right?

Here's the recipe, modified from the AWW Cooking School for kids book; it's a bit complicated, but that just extends the fun. Happy rainy daze to you.

Jumbled Honey Jumbles




Jumbly jumbled jumbles
60g butter, chopped
3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

Icing
1 eggwhite
1 1/2 cups pure icing sugar, sifted
A little lemon juice (about 2 teaspoons)
1 drop pink food colouring


Combine butter, honey and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until butter has melted and all ingredients are smooth. Transfer mixture to a large glass bowl and leave to cool for 10 minutes.


Stir in the egg then sift in the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, mixed spice and cloves into the wet mixture.  Stir to combine and bring together into a dough. Sprinkle a little flour on your clean kitchen bench; put the ball of dough onto the bench; knead the dough by pressing down on it lightly with the heels of your palms until it's all smooth. Pull into a flat ball, wrap in cling wrap and put it into the fridge for 30 minutes.


Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper. 


Take dough out of the fridge and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly. Divide dough into eight portions. Roll each portion into a 2cm thick sausage shape, approx 30cm long and cut into 6 x 5cm-long pieces. Place on prepared trays, leaving room for spreading. Using a wooden spoon, flatten each piece of dough a little.  Bake for about 15 minutes or until light golden. Once golden, take trays out of the oven and leave them to cool.


Make icing: In a small bowl, beat eggwhite lightly with a fork until foaming. Gradually beat in icing sugar and flour a little at a time; stir a little well into the eggwhite before adding more.Add enough lemon juice to make the icing easy to spread. Put half the mixture into another bowl. Tint pink with food colouring. Spread half of the biscuits with pink icing. Spread remaining biscuits with white icing. Set aside for 30 minutes or until set.


Get eating!



Do you enjoy baking with your children?
By yourself?

18 comments:

e. Xx said...

Oh these look so yum! If I wasn't 38 weeks pregnant and I could be bothered, I'd make them this week! I love baking with my {nearly} three-year-old daughter. She asks me every day if we can bake, but I think it's actually so she can lick the spoon, which everyone knows is the best part of baking anyway! x

Belinda said...

I baked with my babes this afternoon. Cupcakes with vanilla icing. While we were all waiting for them to cook, I gave them sparklers to use. I was mama of the year in their eyes this afternoon. x

Mrs Woog said...

No and no. But I like the eating part x

BOB & MABEL said...

I bake with my kids often. Do I enjoy it? Not really, so much cleaner and easier by myself. But, I am determined that they will have memories of me teaching them to bake and that they WILL be self sufficient.

Amanda said...

It's cold, wet and windy here today too (as it has been all weekend) and it looks set to stay for the remainder of the week. I debated whether or not to venture out today too but in the end, we did head to Grace's dance class but have been rugged up indoors ever since. I'm so glad you shared this recipe with us all as making 'Honey Jumbles' has been at the forefront of my 'recipes to try' list ever since I was given a jar for Christmas and they tasted scrumptious. I may even give these a go this afternoon as there's nothing sweet here in the house and I'm desperate for something to have with a cuppa!

P.S Did my little fabric stash make its way safely to you?

Andrea @ little buckles said...

These look great! I'm sick of baking cupcakes and biscuits. I'll give these a go. Anything with icing is a winner with the kids. x

georgi said...

Oh I love the name - honey jumbles. Right out of Winnie the Pooh! It's freeezing (literally, no exaggeration!) here, sleeting outside, my housemate is away, and I've been baking muesli and sourdough. Some similar mind waves from across the tasman...

xx

Katrina (capturing moments) said...

ha yes, baking sans children is more my style.

Shade of Whim said...

Love this!! Shall be attempting it on my day off work. Thanks for sharing.
I came across your blog today via another favourite of mine and so glad i did! I'm hoping you might like to follow each other? I've started off by following you :)
Looking forward to checking back again soon.
Maria x

Down that Little Lane said...

They sound good.. Going to tweet this so I can save it to favourites!.. Baking WITH kids.. Bugger off.. On,u on my own!

Rhonda said...

I love baking, but generally it's a solitary activity for me.

Kate Sins said...

I like to bake and in theory I love baking with my kids. The reality is so slow and messy though! Maybe when they're a bit older!?

Michelle said...

Yum I wish I could bite into one of those sweet spicy treats now! I did some baking on the weekend as well, I dont have kids so I bake alone but I honesty still feel like a kid baking, I make a mess, I make mistakes, and I am so proud when its displayed on the cake stand and my man cuts a slice and praises me (even if it doesnt taste that great!)

ally said...

Yes I bake with them...all the time...but with gritted teeth usually.
We've made anzacs, pikelets, choc chippers and soup this weekend and I'm desperately hoping for a weather change

Brenda @ Mira Narnie said...

ohhh i love baking with my troop...they are superb now at cracking eggs and mixing and yes the flour goes everywhere but oh well....I do restrain them to watching only if the cake is going to be consumed by others not in our family....so it can get a bit nasty then! Any like your Badoo....my son wins at Junior Monopoly ALL the time!!!

Sannah said...

On cold/wet days I am perfectly happy staying inside. I would be quite content to stay in bed all day, or to bake something if absolutely pushed, but my family is not like that at ALL! They like to romp outside, so I am frequently dragged kicking and screaming outside (ok, so maybe not quite that bad), but you get the idea :)

x Sannah

(and I get what you are saying with cooking with kids - I think I am a bit too much of a perfectionist for it to be truly satisfying, but I am trying to reform. Sounds like you are too!).

Saffron said...

I can't imagine what they'd taste like but they sound good.

Miss Kitty-Cat said...

I can't wait to be able to bake with Georgie. Unfortunately I'm so anal about things I suspect I won't be very patient with her doing things her way...

I hope I learn patience and understanding that it's not just about the end result, it's the experience that is important. I have to keep reminding myself of that.

K xxx

Post a Comment

Thank you for talking to me.x