Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

3.9.12

Back to normal


Oh poor, neglected blog. I'm still here. I miss you. But...

I realised today that I have been living with a 'when things get back to normal' attitude all year. 'When I'm not working in the grey world', things will get back to normal. 'When I've settled into my new role', things will get back to normal. 'When I'm not planning a birthday party',  things will get back to normal. 'When I finish the school website',  things will get back to normal. 'When I'm not planning a trip', things will get back to normal.

When, when, when, when...

See, 'normal' is not having too much on my plate - metaphorically, of course (I always have too much on my plate in the literal sense). 'Normal' is having good routines, an organised house and lists, lots and lots of lists. I'm so busy right now (often busy just having fun, don't get me wrong!) that I don't even have time to stop and make a proper list with categories represented by colour-coded pens and a good legend / key to decipher symbols used for emphasis. Now, that's busy.

The trouble is that I've finally recognised that this is normal. Having one big extra thing to do on top of what I'm comfortable with, appears to be my normal. Feeling rushed and slightly overwhelmed by all I have to do is now my normal. God knows, I read back over my own 'not busy' post - written  just two short years ago - and I envy myself! Where did the 'not particularly busy' woman go?

When I get back from my trip, I'll give that a proper think.

In the meantime... I'll be seeing you all at the end of September! I will still be posting on Village Voices on Fridays for '52 Weeks of Grateful' and my 'Blog in the Spotlight' posts will still go up on Monday afternoons, so if you are missing me too much, check my Village Voices sidebar thingimajig and click on through for a little dose of... well, me. Might even drop a post here on the blog before I go. If I can find the time!

Off on our jaunt we go!

What's your normal these days?


[Image by DorottyaS via DeviantArt]

32 comments:

Kelly @ Polkadot Lane said...

Life happens and sometimes blog posts dont..oh well (I've been a shocking blogger of late :-P). I hope that your trip is truly, amazingly fabulous and romantic - have an awesome time! And take care xx

georgi said...

this place doesn't feel neglected, it feels loved. i loathe the word "busy". I like to just be, to go with the flow, to say yes often but to also say yes to time spent alone .. I do recognise this is probably infinitely easier without children !! hmm ... :-) have a lovely trip! x

ally said...

have the jauntiest jaunt (and make it un-busy)
xx

shine little light* said...

Have a brilliant brilliant time!!!!!! *s*

Coal Valley View said...

The inbox is NEVER empty!

Have the most wonderful time!!

Melx

Taryn said...

wishing you the bestest bestest time away xoxo

nicole kane said...

ah!!! have a FANTASTIC time! i am super jelly!

Lipgloss Mumma said...

Have a wonderful time, I know you will.
I try not to think about 'normal', I prefer life to be what it will be, otherwise it is just to damn stressful wanting it to be 'normal'. xx

Lisa@RandomActsOfZen said...

What a wonderful adventure you're going to have, enjoy! Drink in every last detail.
I think our lives are so spread over commitments these days, that we just can't slow down. I know if I don't have a list of things to do, I'm at a bit of a loss.

Libby said...

Super dooper envious of you my dear:) so much creative work and travel and your fab tribe (and cute hubby)... so little time for your poor blog!!!! :))) embracing the chaos is the way to go.
PS I've put up part ii to amuse you:)

jody said...

Oh have a most wonderful trip won't you Bron! xx

the textured leaf said...

This resonates on so many levels,
x

ps. im ba-acck (kind of)

Stephanie Winmill said...

Have a great trip!! Can't wait to read all about it when your back! :)

Robyn said...

have an amazing time in Europe.Looking forward to hearing about the adventures on your return!

tricia said...

Oh yes - I'm always waiting for life to 'be back to normal'. I'm trying to decide whether i need to redefine 'normal' or just accept life is always like this.

Enjoy your trip. x

E. said...

Have a great trip. I'll be waiting to hear all about your adventures.
Life happens, sometimes I think going with the flow (or maybe as Tricia said) redefining normal is the only way to survive it.

Megan Blandford said...

Hope you have a wonderful time, Bron! x

mel @ loved handmade said...

I'm SO excited for you! My brother and his fiance are in Paris at the moment and our little guy is very sad he couldn't go with them to his most dreamed about place on earth. Have a wonderful, wonderful time! xx

Claire Chadwick @ Scissors Paper Rock said...

Oh B, I did a similar post back a few months ago, titled: A New Type Of Normal. My year 'off' on Maternity Leave was not looking like how I'd imagined it at all. I feel too busy, run down, stressed and I felt like my plate was always overflowing. I accepted that life has changed in the past few years {mainly for the better} and with that comes more work, more responsibility and more commitments, so I had to change 'my normal' expectations.
I do need to find a slower balance though....the weeks are just whizzing by too quickly.
Can't wait to hear about your trip.
x

Mum on the Run said...

I've decided 'normal' is a mirage, a myth invented by someone to make us all feel 'abnormal'.
Have a fabulous time away - can't wait to hear the adventures.
:-) x

allison tait said...

Have a great trip!

Carli said...

Oh have a wonderful trip - what an amazing road trip that will be!

kell said...

Maybe this is (an old cliche), your "new normal"? Whatever it is, tripping away o/s sounds so fantastic! Have a beautiful, fun, restful,relaxing, fun fun time!

LionessLady said...

Normal is always CCCCCCCCrazy in this house. Anything else would just feel all wrong.
Have the bestest time away with your man! You deserve it.

Karla {Ironmum Karla} said...

I think you thrive on busy, and probably get more done when you are busy than not..have a great trip and look forward to holiday recap and pics. It will be magic! X

Jodi said...

your normal is my normal...but I can't quite accept normal yet. Safe travels my love - indulge! x

Cat said...

You are on to something with the idea of "normal" and since the baby arrived almost a year ago I've been thinking the same thing. This is the "normal" thing for me. Have a fabulous trip!

Jane said...

Bon voyage, Bron. Have a fab time together and just forget about us. The world will still turn and you'll come back refreshed. Sound good? J x

Donna said...

Have a fabulous time Bron, be sure to enjoy yourselves! And normal? Its overrarted x

emma @ frog, goose and bear said...

Normal is a dangerous word sometimes. I find myself surviving with one or two extra things beyond what I am comfortable with. I am trying to make "not stressed" the norm. Have a wonderful wonderful timeOS. It'll all seem very surreal no doubt. I can't even imagine how blissful your adventure will be - I dream about doing the same one day...

Kymmie said...

Oh normal! I hear you. What is it? I think normal is so different from one person to another. Right now we're tossing up on buying a church. Yes, a church. To live in and have as a holiday house (it's in Port Fairy). Oh the quandries. And yes, I'm looking forward to a bit more normal after the madness of planning, draftsmen, late nights, meetings with the bank. Sheesh!

Cherie @ raising master Max said...

Bron, oh my gosh, EN.JOY!

Enjoy enjoy enjoy! :)

And yes, super freaky busy has been my permanent state of normal.

I can't remember the last time I had time to write lists, but I do still dream of that day ;)

Enjoy your trip!

x

Post a Comment

Thank you for talking to me.x